Even though most people know there is a difference between helium and air filled balloons, when asked what those differences mean, few companies explain. If you are interested in purchasing helium or air filled balloons for decorations and want to make sure that you get the right kind, the information provided will help.
The simple answer is that one type of balloon is filled with helium and the other air. The balloon itself is actually the same. However, as you can see from the information listed below, there are many additional differences.
- Lasting Time – If you have decided on balloon decorations and get stuck on the question, “How long do latex helium balloons last?” you need to worry about that, since latex balloons filled with helium without the Hi-Float treatment inside will usually last about 8 to 10 hours. Helium-filled foil or Mylar balloons will stay afloat for about three to four days. In fact, there are certain balloon brands that will stay inflated up to three weeks. However, when taken outdoors, the float time can diminish greatly as the heat increases the rate at which the helium escapes. Balloons inflated with air can last much longer. This is because the helium molecule is very small and easily escapes the balloon material.
- Cost – Typically, balloons filled with helium are more expensive than those filled with air, but considering they float, they are a worthwhile investment. Air-filled balloons do not float.
- Messages, Graphics, and Designs – One similarity between the two types of balloons is that both can be can be enhanced with written messages, graphics, and designs. However, while Mylar (foil) balloons filled with helium come in unique shapes like dinosaurs, animals, characters, and so on, there are limitations to the shapes available for latex balloons. Especially for children’s parties, helium-filled Mylar balloons are a big hit.
- Refilling – As long as you consider reusable items and hesitate in selecting mylar vs latex balloons, keep in mind balloons refilling functions. Latex balloons that are tied off and filled with air cannot be refilled. In comparison, helium Mylar balloons can be refilled with more helium once they start to deflate.
- Substance – Unlike balloons filled with air, helium balloons are filled with an odorless, colorless, and tasteless natural gas.
- Density – Because helium is lighter than air, balloons filled with this gas can float.
Helium and air balloons: pros and cons
Contrary to popular belief, the composition of inflatable balloons will be enjoyable not only for a child. A wide variety of shapes and colors allows you to use the balloon composition for decorating any event. Throwing a noisy party, organizers often doubt which ones to choose: helium balloons vs air balloons.
Balloons filled with helium are trendy today. We use them to decorate homes, street scenes, and for marketing event venues. You can make a beautiful bouquet for greeting a child or a declaration of love to a girl. The main disadvantage is their price, but several benefits can make you pick up helium balloons.
- Helium is entirely harmless for humans and nature. This gas is non-toxic and non-explosive. Thus, parents may give balloons filled with it to children.
- Unlike air-filled balloons, helium balloons can float for a day to weeks. The duration of the flight depends on the material. For example, latex gas percolates through faster, and foil models hold it inside longer.
- Any balloon is suitable for helium filling: round and long latex, fancy foil balloons. They differ in size, shape, color, and texture. You can choose the best decor or gift for any celebration.
- It's not necessary to arrange a firework show to impress your guests. It's much cheaper to release helium balloons into the sky. The ceremony is romantic and stunning. All people gathered will be spellbound as they look at the light balloons and make wishes.
There are situations when the balloons are not critical or unnecessary. For example, if you need to create an arch or a decorative composition of balloons. Then, it is enough to get a pump, filling the balloons with air.
Best ways to use helium balloons
Do you prefer to decorate the interior with helium balloons? No problem! There are a few ideas for you on how to decorate your night.
An excellent idea to brighten up your accommodation for St. Valentine's Day or wedding anniversary, balloons on which your photos are pre-printed will do. This decor would be a good idea for celebrating a date together. You can make decorations with an element of romance and entertainment. Wrap the helium balloon in tulle, tie it with a satin ribbon or attach a live flower. You can leave a love message or an exciting task for your partner at the end of the braid.
A New Year's Eve party has a unique atmosphere, which glittering balloons can emphasize. You will need some glue, glitter and helium balloons. In one container, pour the glitter, and in another, you need to pour the glue. Inflate the balloons, tie them with tape and drop them into the glue, then into the glitter and wait until they dry. Decorate the room with balloons, using a braid of different lengths.
Sometimes you feel a lack of time to create 3D figures. But you want to impress your guests. In that case, you should blow up balloons with helium and attach a weight to the end of the ribbon—place balloons around the room on different surfaces. Sweets or small gifts may be suitable as weights.
Where is it best to use air balloons?
It’s not so challenging to decorate a room with balloons. For example, you can just hang them up in a chaotic order. But you will hardly ever surprise guests with this decoration. Is it possible to repeat the designers' work with your own hands? Let's leave refined shapes to the professionals, but you can try to make a simple decor yourself.
You can make an arch without a frame, for example, by stringing a few helium balloons on a fishing line. But frame structures look much more spectacular.
Fill balloons with air and fix them to the base. You may choose one color, but two or three shades look better. Then, connect the balloons in a spiral or focus on one color, for example, white, and then dilute it with blue. To make your balloons hold their shape longer, fill them with air, not helium.
It is best to decorate with improvised fruit for children's and themed celebrations. Instead of helium balloons, it is better to take air-filled balloons and hang them on a fishing line as a garland. For example, if you have a summer party outdoor, you may create fruit or vegetable garlands. If you want to make a watermelon, draw light lines on a green balloon.
If you like balloon bouquets, you may create them for yourself, even at home. For example, for anniversaries, you can make a bouquet of hearts. You will need a set of balloons in the shape of tiny hearts, a bunch of twisting balloons, and a basket. Blow up hearts and stems, connect them, and put the bouquet in the basket.
Choosing the Perfect Helium or Air Filled Balloons for Decorations
Regardless of which type of balloon you like best, there are advantages and disadvantages of each. The good news is that both types of balloons come in an array of colors, sizes, and shapes, making them perfect for any special occasion. Whether used for a birthday party, anniversary party, housewarming, wedding reception, as a pick-me-up for someone in the hospital, the possibilities are endless.
Balloons.online is a premier choice for high-quality balloons, whether filled with helium or air.
Balloons Online provides the best balloons for any occasion at prices that make sense. Check us out at balloons.online!